Mill HistoryManchaug Mills consists of an old granite 4-story building with a more recently constructed metal building attached. The mill dates back to 1826 when it was built from local Douglas granite for the production of cotton fabric. The well known trade name "Fruit of the Loom" originated here.
Water from Stevens and Manchaug ponds powered the mill machinery until steam and subsequently electric power became available. This mill is the only remaining one of three originally located near the four corners of Manchaug, a Village of Sutton, Massachusetts. The '38 hurricane and a major fire took down the others.
When textile manufacturing went south in the 20's, our mill was put to a variety of other uses. Whitin Machine Works used it for storage and later an Englishman, Sir Rudy Sternberg, purchased the property for the production of foam plastic containers.
In 1974, Manchaug Corporation acquired the property and the business within. The business was then sold to Genpac Corporation in 1985 and H&P Trust retained the mill property. When Genpac moved in 1990, H&P Trust d/b/a Manchaug Mills began offering space with the building to various small businesses. In 2008, Manchaug Mills, Inc. under local ownership acquired the real estate from H&P Trust. The facility continues to lease space, obtaining 90% occupancy with the majority of tenants leasing space for over 5 years.
Watch a video excerpt of Preserving Old Mills and Mill History* featuring Manchaug Mills